Friday

The Gospel, the Church, the Culture and the Mission


As fools yearn to play Hamlet (paraphrasing Packer's introduction to Knowing God), so I have longed to write a post about the gospel and culture.

This, however, is not it.

As a fleeting dip of the toe into the water, however, may I refer readers to a recent post by Brother Maynard over at Subversive Influence. His topic is the "men in church" thing, which, if I have time, I hope to write about as well. The theme, however, provides the writer with the opportunity to explore the issues of "contextualisation" of the gospel compared with "incarnation" of the gospel.

It's a bit late in the day and I don't really get it all. But I think he raises some good questions about the dangers of seeing the gospel as a product and the world as our target market. I don't know many people who use that language as such, but I observe quite a lot of actions that show that this kind of thinking is quite influential.

Which, of course, does not mean it is right.





1 comment:

Steve Smith said...

Hey Al
You have been coming to mind recently, which led me to search for you on Google. Anyway, if you search for ["Al Shaw" Christian] on Google you get this top result:
Al Shaw Patio Covers Thank you for your interest in Al Shaw's Patio Covers. ... Al's legacy is one of Christian morality, family values, loyalty to God, Country, and community. ...
www.alshawspatiocovers.com/aboutus.html - .
That's so funny - I thought you had changed occupation:).

Anyway, about your post, I not so immediately thought of when Paul says: Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law…, so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law…, so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings (I Cor 9:19-23).

It would be great to hear from you and have more of a personal conversation (I'm sure you have lots of visitors!)- you can email me at steve.smith@csmtc.co.uk.

Steve